Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Newest Hobby! Smoking Meats


 OK. My newest hobby is great because it goes so well with my favorite hobby, EATING.  Santa was very good to me this year and brought me a Master Built smoker. I was introduced to smoking from my brother-in-law, Jack who is a smoke master. I didn't know if I would really like it but I found that I do. The picture at the left is my smoker loaded with 27 turkey legs. Why 27? Well that is a funny story. After trying to find turkey legs I asked my wife to check at one of the stores in another town to see how much they were or if they were even available. Then I check here in our town and I found that they could order me 30 lbs for $25. I asked them to order them. When I called Mickie to tell her I found some, the first thing she said was "OK I got you 30 lbs." Really? Oops! So 22 legs of the first try and 27 on the second go round. Second round was better. I found that if I cooked them longer they were more tender and a little crispier. Wow Yummy.
But what to do with 27 legs?!! Well Mickie did a large bunch of twice baked potatoes and we went out and braved the snow delivering turkey legs and potatoes  to some of our favorite people around town. We found that we didn't get far before we ran out of legs and still had friends to go. Sorry Maybe next time.

I have done pork roasts, pork loins with Kabasha wrapped in bacon, pork loins spiral cut and stuffed with black berry jelly and green onions then wrapped in bacon, turkey legs and I think my favorite spatchcock chicken. It is an amazing hobby. I have found a great resource is Jeff Phillips who run a website called http://www.smoking-meat.com/. Amazing little site and some great recipes.

My smoker is an electric digital control Master Built smoker with remote control and meat prob. I love it. It is great. I set the temperature, load the racks, and add the wood chips. It is really simple. Cleaning is never fun but it sure is fun to go out and open a clean smoker and it is ready to go. Fun Times!

As you can see the turkey legs are a big hit for one and all.












Snow day today. What can I smoke?

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! Christopher wants to try a turkey leg every time we go to the fair or anywhere like that. Now we know where to come. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA! You gave her the bone? So now we have a catdog and a babydog? Good going, dad!

    ReplyDelete