Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jenny's Desk is done!!

My fourth desk is Jenny's desk. It is a twin to Jake's desk. They are both made from walnut and it was very fun to work with. I ran out of walnut on Jenny's desk and had to go to the cabinet company and purchase more walnut. Wow lumber has really gone up. This is my last desk, I think. Now I will do some smaller projects.

Several people have asked if I had a kit and I just told them "yes see that stack of raw lumber in the corner of my shop, that is my kit."


On Jenny's desk as on all the others I tried to leave knots in the wood and just work them in. I love the character it gives the wood. If you click on the pictures it will zoom in and you can see the knots that I had to work around but it was worth the extra effort. The writing board that pulls out on the left has some really beautiful knots. I wish I had pulled it out for you to see.
 
 I used Formby's Tung Oil for a finish. I like it because if the wood ever gets a scratch you can just apply a little more oil and it will hide it very nicely. I had a music cabinet that had a very bad scratch from a move and I had used tung oil when I made it. I applied a little oil and the scratch was almost invisible, amazing stuff. I went with the low gloss thinking the dust won't show as bad. I would like to see it with a high gloss just for fun. Oh well it looks very nice.
The only medal used in the desk are the handles, of course, and some corner brackets to hold the top on. I used a LOTS of dowels.

3 comments:

  1. You are the coolest, Daddy! I love my desk! I think we finally have some room for it in our current house but who knows how long we'll be here or what we'll have next... I guess I should wait a little longer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful!! You did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if they ever use them for study? ;)

    ReplyDelete